Thursday, June 4, 2015

Twelve: Nightmare

   "Can you believe it? I'm getting married soon... Sandi, how's my makeup? Too much? I, just, damn, I want to see James, why does he have to believe in this ridiculous no seeing each other thing?"



   "Lavender, you need to take a few deep breaths." Sandi reassured me, gently patting my arm. "You're gorgeous, a glowing bride."

   "Can you... Go make sure that the cab to take us to the museum's here. Please? I'll change into my gown there."
   "Of course." She smiled, moving towards the apartment door. She slowly opened it, gasping. "I, uh... Quinn? Hello." Her voice was hushed, as she stuttered, glancing back towards me. She hadn't been informed that Quinn and I had a rather short relationship last year until I'd accidental called Quinn my ex when we'd been chatting on the phone.
   "I'm sorry, I just wanted to wish Lav a happy wedding day, I know I didn't RSVP, I was passing by and... Sorry. I can go."


   "Oh, uh, no, I mean-" Sandi looked at me, her eye brows raised apprehensively, as I shrugged, perched on the sofa in my wedding pumps, hoodie, and jean cut offs, mouthing 'sure she can come in'. "You can come in." She exited the apartment, as Quinn stepped in, cautiously.
   "I'm sorry, Lav, I just... We were such good friends, I wanted to congratulate you."
   "It's fine, Jesus, Quinn, you know how much I miss our friendship." A small smile appeared on her face, as she sat on the sofa across from me. "How are you?"


   "Me?" She chuckled, glancing down at her feet. "Darling, you're the one getting married in less than three hours, I should be asking you how you are."
   "I'm nervous, I love James, but-" I bite me lip, as Quinn's cheeks turned crimson. I never told her that I'd loved her, she'd told me, but... Why was I thinking about our relationship? She'd stopped by, her intentions clearly weren't misguided, she was just being polite. We dealt with the fact that we used to date everyday at work, dealt meaning that we mostly smiled, went through the versions small talk conversational points, and ignored the past. "Marriage... I'm getting married! I'm so, is this bad, I'm not hesitant, James..." I trailed off, looking at her, my eyes wide, as she looked at me.
   "James is a good man, Lav, besides it's normal to feel nervous, it's a big commitment, but it's one you seem ready for... Every time you talk about him, you eyes light up a little bit, there's an extra flounce in your step; you're instantaneously happier, you obviously love him, you obviously care deeply for him and he'd be insane not to feel the same." Her voice was calm, reassuring.
   "You're right, you're right... What if, what if I'm not? I mean, we've known each other like six months and he's been married before, he knows what he's doing, or at least he isn't diving into the deep end with his eyes taped shut. and I'm clueless, an amateur."
   "No one knows what they're doing in marriage, it doesn't matter who they are, they don't. You and James are wonderful together, you'll figure things out."
   "Thank you Quinn, I'm sorry... I'm unloading all my feelings onto you, I don't want to burden you."
   "You aren't, if anything I feel like I'm burdening you. Is there anything you need? I can swing by a few places or get you something to drink..."
   "There's Everclear in the top cabinet and Gatorade in the fridge, can you-"
   "Take one ounce of each an layer them in a shot glass?" I nodded, as she stood. "I remember." She moved to the kitchen, I heard her opening the fridge, as did Skedaddles, who raced into the kitchen, sliding on the tile.



   "Meoooww!" He yowled, as I heard Quinn sigh, exclaiming how she knew he never liked her. 
   "Here ya go."  She handed me a shot glass with the words 'Smokey Mama's Bar and Grill' printed on the side in large, red times new Roman. I took the glass from her, swinging my head back, bringing the orange liquid to my lips, as it burned my throat.
   "What... What if I'm not ready..."
   "Hush darling..." She brought her finger to my lips.
   "You know, I didn't even have a bachelorette party, I never got to have one crazy night..."
   "Perhaps you can have one last crazy morning." She smiled, a playful smirk, as she stood, off the sofa, taking my hand.
   "This morning's crazy, but not bac- oooh." It hit me, as I leaned forward, the scent of her perfume, lilacs and honeysuckle, a floral summer, enchanted me.



   "Lav, the car's here and so is James' mo- What the hell?!" The sound of the front door opening, being gentle shut, the clicking of heel against the wood floor- the kiss had muted it all.




   "You bloody harlet! You want to wed my son, yet here you are, snogging another woman!"

   "No, no, no I-I, no! I wasn't! No, I love James, I want to marry him, no, I-"
   "I saw very well what you were doing and as his mum, it's my duty to inform him of his fiancee's unfaithfulness."
   "Ms. Colton, please, please no..." I begged, as Quinn sneered, Sandi glanced aside, avoided the conflict.




   "Aaah!" I bolted myself awake up screaming, sweaty. "I love James, I love James..." I whispered, reassuring myself that it was just a dream. It was just a nightmare and we were going to be getting married in thirteen days. It was just a nightmare, just a nightmare, it meant nothing. I hadn't asked Sandi to call Quinn, at the last minute I decided it'd be horrible to invite an ex to a wedding; if years of watching sitcoms taught me one thing, it was that.
   I glanced to right, seeing the side perfectly made, instead of my fiance peacefully dozing on the pink pillow. Skeddadles was lazily lounging on his kitty bed, staring at me with his wide, raven eyes.
   "What's James doing up at," I paused, glancing at my bedside clock. "Three am?"
   "Meeeow." The tabby replied, as if to say that he was a cat and I was better suited getting up and going into the living room to ask someone who was capable of talking than musing to my furry friend.
   The air was warm, heavy, as I stood up, shedding the thin duvet, stretching, yawning. I padded my way over to the bedroom door, throwing it open to see the blonde perched in front of the computer, dark circles under his eyes.
   "What are you doing up, darling? This is the only night this week that you didn't have to work..." His job was tedious, long hours; I didn't like him being a 911 dispatcher, it was too close to being a cop and he had to leave to go take over for someone at a moment's notice. He'd come home some nights, terrified recounting what people had called in saying, someone was in their home, their was a fire and their dog was trapped, a toddler fell off a swing and had passed out.
   "I have bad news, I wanted to remedy it before telling you." He looked at me, biting his lip, as I leaned against the desk.
   "Remedy? Remedy what?"
   "The art musuem... Today I received a call stating that they'd had a small fire, they were hosting a banquet, there were candles, things got out of hand, we're receiving a refund, however we can't be wed there..."
   "Oh thank gods."
   "Pardon?" Befuddlement painted his face, as I began to explain.
   "I had a horrid nightmare, I know it wasn't real, but right now our venue being screwed up isn't nearly as bad, as long as we're getting married, I'm alright."
   "Are you sure? I was terrified you'd be petrified, want to completely reschedule."
   "Oh, darling, don't worry." I smiled, as he leaned forward, kissing me softly. "How were you remedying it?"
   "Our honeymoon was scheduled the day after the wedding, instead of having an intimate gathering here on the date we picked, we could fly your parents and my mum out to Hawaii with us, get married there, there's a cruise that starts the day after, we could stick the parents on it so we would have alone time. I've contacted the airline and the cruise company and we can get the tickets, I've asked the people were renting the beach house if we could rent out one of their larger homes to accommodate the parents, they agreed, so overall it's a bit more because it's last minute, but isn't too much more than the venue, the band, caterers, flowers, and everything. I'd be marrying you, though, so I don't really give a damn about the cost." Be married in Hawaii? It sounded romantic, a private ceremony, the ceremony here was supposed to be intimate, only close friends and family, now it'd be even more so. "What do you say?"
   "I think it's a grand idea."
   We were getting married in Hawaii; my nightmares could go to hell, this wedding was going to be perfect.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I was glad that was a nightmare, LOL, throughout the thing I was like omfg, LOL. In her nightmare however, it seemed like she was always more attracted to Quinn than James, I think it was the description of the way Quinn smelled. They've known each other for six months? I didn't know it was such little time. :-! Hopefully they are doing the right thing. It's okay though some people already know after their like, first date, LOL, so I'm just going to be hopeful. :) James was so sweet to figure out that stuff with the venue, and he stayed up till 3 to fix it? What a darling. :) He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for a minute I was planning on the nightmare being real, however I couldn't bring myself to ruin her and James' relationship, since I think they're so cute together! And Lavender is attracted women in general (I guess I would describe her as 30%/40% attracted to men, 70%/60% attracted to women) also it's her nightmare- she's terrified of James being hesitant to marry her because she's bisexual- so that's why she seems to be more attracted to Quinn.
      Their relationship did progress very quickly, although they love each other very deeply, it seems a bit like an almost instantaneous, but more love-at-second-or-third sight thing, haha. :) James is a good man, he'll treat Lav wonderful. :)

      Delete
  2. Whew, good thing it was a nightmare. I might have thrown my laptop out of the window if it wasn't xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was supppper tempted to make it a reality, but then I couldn't do it to James and Lav, since I think they're such a precious, adorable, little simmy couple, haha. :D

      Delete