Monday, June 27, 2016

Six: Valentine's Day



   "Mmm... Yes..." Katie groaned, as I kissed her neck, delicately pulling the zipper on the back of her dress down. It dropped down to the floor, revealing a black, lace bra and nothing else. She nimbly unbuttoned by dress shirt, tossing it aside, as I pulled her onto the bed.
   "I love you." She smiled, as I unhooked her bra, moving my lips further down my body.
   "I love you- mm, yes, oh Harrison!" She
   It was my first Valentine's Day in a real relationship; we'd felt so connected after our first date in early winter, we went out on another date, then another, and another. Her humor was divine, her soul absolutely fine. There was no question in my mind about whether or not I wanted to see her again. We'd made things official shortly after the fall semester, but decided against announcing it, because of the holiday stress. Wilson didn't seem to notice anything peculiar and I'm fairly certain Veronica was so focused on the fact that she'd be eighteen and a high school graduate soon, that she didn't care about what her big brother's love life was like.
   Two months after we'd officially declared ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend, I still hadn't mentioned it to anyone and neither had Katie. We weren't keeping it a secret, per se, we just weren't broadcasting it.
   After out love making -- I never thought that I, a twenty-one year old male would use that term, but it's what it was. It was a collision of love and sparks, it was two souls coming together to be one, it was something that made me wonder Wilson would joke about my testosterone levels, it was so wonderful -- she turned to look at me, her lips curling upwards, her eyes shining.
   "So, I hear that Mr. Harrison Hugo Colton has something planned that will absolutely blow me away."
   "I supposed it'll have to, after Miss. Katie Jocelyn Dalton literally blew-"
   "Hey!" She playfully flicked me, rolling her eyes. "This is why I'm the mature one in the relationship."
   "What can I say, I do have a thing for older, mature women." My comment was met with an eye roll, as she stood up and began shrugging on her disregarded garments. She was eleven months and two weeks older than me, a senior in college, while I was a junior. Our birthdays were exactly two weeks apart, it was like it was fate. "As much as I hate to say this, I'm glad you're getting dressed, I supposed I should do the same."
   "Where ever we're going probably wouldn't appreciate you showing up nude."
   "What if I had commissioned an art student to sketch up that way?"
   "Because nothing says I love you like seeing some art nerd draw my boobs."
   "Don't worry, we're actually going to the Rose Haven Tea House for brunch."
   "Well gosh darn, there goes the surprise." Whenever she was attempting to be over dramatic, she used the childish version of curse words, rather than say shit, she'd say poo, rather than say goddamn, she'd say gosh darn.
   "There's still a surprise." I took her hand, as we strolled out of her bedroom, out of the apartment, into the elevator, out of the lobby, and into her car. In a few minutes we were there.


   The Rose Haven Tea House had some lure about it being the most romantic spot in the town. It was quaint, run by an elderly British woman, and served delicious scones. It was also were we'd made things official. I led Katie into the garden, as she shivered slightly. Caught up in getting there, neither of us had bother to grab winter coats, which were needed during the frigid New England winter.


   "I love you, Harrison, but darling do we have to be freezing our asses off in the snow?" I nodded slowly.


   "You know, I had Chinese last week and my fortune cookie said that I'd spend the rest of my life with someone who spilled hot tea on me when we first met."
   "Wait, didn't- our first conversa- oh my God!" She looked down, her mouth forming a perfect O.
   "Please tell me that's a good 'Oh my God'. Katie, when I first met you... I knew it was you. You were adorable and witty and breath taking all in those first five minutes. As we've grown together, as we've learned more about one another, I've discovered that you're not just adorable, you're mind, body, and soul are gorgeous and they've completely captivated me. I've learned that you're not just witty, you're brilliant and generous and amorous and kind and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you. I've learned that you don't just take my breath away, you take everyone's breath away the minute you walk into the room. Everyone you meet you manage to inspire, you want to make the world a better place, and I hope I'll be able to travel alongside you and help. I want to be with you every single step of the way and I hope you'll allow me to. Katie Jocelyn Dalton, will you marry me?"
   "Yes."
   "Yes?"
   "Yes." She nodded. "Yes, yes, yes! Oh my God, yes, of course... Harrison, God these past two months have been so wonderful and I don't know what I'd do without you, you said that I manage to inspire everyone, yet you inspire me. You want to help people and you're so passionate about caring for your sister and your parents and your best friend... Yes!"


   "I know I still have a year of college left and med school, we don't have to do this this year or next, hell we could wait a decade, as long as I get to spend that decade with you, I don't care how long we wait."
   "We don't have to wait, I sure as hell can't wait to be Ms. Katie Colton and the summer would be the perfect time for a wedding... I'm going to grad school in the middle of the country and they have a pretty good med school, we could figure something out."
   "A summer wedding would be great! And I could always transfer or something."
   "Yes! We could get a cute apartment, by great aunt's could go to my cousin... It'd work out absolutely lovely."
   We kissed again. We were engaged, with our futures shakily mapped out. There was snow swirling around us and our bodies were freezing, yet in that moment, we didn't need hats or mittens or coats, because our love warmed us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment