Monday, May 4, 2015

Ten: Bloody Hell, Not What I Meant


  "I haven't been to the gym in ages." I commented, as James and I strode past men and woman who we're working on their fitness.
   "The damn head injury?" He asked curiously, as I entry shook my head. 
   "My apartment got a minuscule workout room. It's a bit stuffy, but it prevents me from having to get up even earlier in order to make it I the gym."
   "Ah... We should add that to the List."
   "Really? That's what comes to mind?" I rolled my eyes, sighing. As he innocently shrugged, a boyish grin appearing on his face.
   The List, a rather innocent name for a ridiculously naughty thing that he and I had come up with after our first time doing it, it happened to occur in the X-Ray room in the hospital the day I'd been released- four days after I had been admitted- a location both of us had admitted was new. Now we mentally noted interesting places where we could consummate our relationship again and again and again on the list- it was growing rather lengthy: an IKEA bathroom, up against my wall of windows, his car, my building's laundry room, the planetarium, Sandi's apartment building's elevator, my parent's backyard from when they'd ask me to house sit for them when they went on a vacation. With each location on the list, we'd agreed to try a new position; a compromise I'd come up with after I decided that our places of employment were off limit. 
   "The room's meant for people to get hot and sweaty in." He shrugged. "We'd be using it for it's intended purposes, the next position will definitely involve burning off a few calories and us sweating."
   "If you didn't have a British accent, that wouldn't have sounded so appealing."
   "A pleasant perk of being a foreigner." I threw open the room to the pool, as he followed me in, the potent smell of chlorine filling my nostrils, as I cast aside my flimsy dress, revealing my bikini. "Are you sure that you've done it in a pool before? I mean, can we not count it, since the encounter was with a woman?" He teased. "Since a pool would make a lovely addition to the List."


   "Oh, go to hell." I teased, kissing him, before gesturing towards the other gym patrons, who were lingering in the water, mouthing for him to shush about the List.  
   I eased myself into the crisp, cool water as he stood, still in his street clothes, perched by the edge of the pool. 
   "This is going to sound ridiculously cheesy, but, even though I've only known you four months…" I trailed off, looking up at him. I loved him. He loved me. We loved each other, yet the thing I felt, this emotion, I couldn't express it with such a strong emotion, a deep passion, a deep admiration, I couldn't simply call it love.
   "Rather lovely, the past few months have been."
   "Agreed."
   "However, I believe that we should stop doing this, well, this dating thing." Stop doi- What the fu- The goddamn bastard. Talking about the list, than... The anger slammed into me, as I bobbed, up and down, in the crystal clear water. The water was so serene, quiet, gently swishing around those who ventured into its depths, as the raging turbulence of dark, vengeful, stormy dead filled me. 
   There was a faint smile, a smirk, deceitful, mocking my innocence, my naivety, mocking that I loved him, spread across his putrid face, the stupid face that was covered with blonde peach fuzz. Instinctively, I reached out, my arms tentacles, pulling at his leg, as he stumbled into the pool, as he shouted in utter confusion. 
   "You son of a bitch, you motherf-"


   "Lavender, what- I'm soaked!" He was bobbing in the water in his shorts, his raggedy t-shirt, as I heard snickering from behind me. The other patrons were gesturing towards us, as they slowly egressed the room, wrapping themselves in thin towels, heading towards the changing rooms, leaving us to secrecy, to privacy.

 
   "You have the nerve to suggest where we should have sex next, than you- you tell me we should stop dating!?"
   "Bloody hell, not what I meant, that's not what I meant at all... Lavender, I, I..." He began patting his pockets, as horror consumed him. "Fu-!" He paused, glancing towards the filters of the pool, as he swan towards them hurriedly, sticking his hand in the first one he reached. 
   "What are you doing?"
    "I- hold on." He pulled out his hand, his fingers clasped around a shiny object. "I've been carrying this around after your hospital accident, I, I realized that I couldn't, I didn't want to be without you... I was married, I known her for years, and we didn't last, time... Time doesn't change how you feel, how I feel, I.. Lavender, I don't want to be without you ever." He opened his fingers, revealing a glimmering metallic ring, emeralds and pearls surrounding a large diamond.
   "Yes." I replied, looking from his hand, to his face, as he smiled, slipping it on my left ring finer. 
   "My mother's ring." He replied, as he embraced me with his soaking wet sleeves.
   I was engaged.

2 comments:

  1. Awww how cute, James and Lavender. :)
    Yay for being engaged. Heehee, I bet James wasn't exactly expecting to propose in a pool, LOL. Glad he found the ring again though, yikes, especially since it was his mother's ring, so it's probably unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, he didn't expect to be drenched when he proposed, nor did he expect to almost lose his mum's ring, which is rather unique and sentimental, though everything did turn out well. :)

      Delete