Monday, July 20, 2015

Twenty One: North Yorkshire



   “The view’s gorgeous.” James commented, as I glanced out the window of his sister’s guest bedroom, to see the emerald green, expansive fields of North Yorkshire, that were dotted with pastel petals in full bloom and pine trees, growing towards the crystal blue sky.
   “It is.” I murmured. “I’m so glad that Poppy invited us to England.” Her invitation coincided with Veronica’s fourth birthday, a date that we traditional celebrated by having an intimate gathering with my parents, a few family friends who served as honorary aunties and uncles, and, per last year, a few friends that Veronica made while attending MENA’s preschool.
   At the party, we’d serve mozzarella string cheese, cinnamon apple sauce, and blueberry pancakes shaped like circus animals, the birthday girl’s three favorite foods, and James would grill ribs, corn, pineapple, onions, and peppers for those who considered the food pyramid to consist of more than three categories. After we served the main course, we’d have funfetti cake, a delicacy that I made with only the finest boxed cake mix available at the grocery store, bright, Pepto-Bismol pink strawberry ice cream, then Veronica and Harrison would run around with some of the other children, James and I would reflect on our year and we’d release butterflies by the apple tree we’d planted to commemorate Paisley Penelope, our darling daughter who was gone before she even greeted the world, the daughter I couldn’t think about without tearing up and eventually turning into a blubbering, incoherent mess- I had managed to come to peace with what happened, we did what we had to and if we hadn’t, we wouldn’t be holding a birthday in May, but instead a double memorial.
   “That wasn’t the view I meant.” He smiled feisty, taking me in his arms, kissing my forehead tenderly.


   “That’s the most clichéd line… You don’t even need lines.” I turned, pressing myself, my abs, against his chiseled, tan chest.
   “Never hurts to try them out, though.” His arms were tightly wrapped around me shoulders, I clung  to his hard muscular chest, and resting my head peacefully on his shoulder.


   We were basking in each other’s ambiance, creating each other’s warmth. He looked down at me, his eyes shining brightly, olive stars. He gave that quirky smile, that one he knew that I loved, the one that made me swoon. Caressing my supple cheek, he lifted my chin; our noses almost touching. I could feel the warmth of his breath brushing the top of her lip. I stared back into his hardened green eyes and moved up the last half inch so our lips could touch. Softly. Lovingly. That kiss; hard, but soft; fiery but cool; a split second but also forever. In that one kiss, I then knew what was behind that quirky smile, and it made my love for the man who I’d married almost eight years ago grow.


   “Mum! Da-" The door to the guest bedroom was thrown open by a brunette seven year old. “Dad, Auntie Poppy gave me a doctor toy set! And she gave Veronica a toy tool set! And she said that we’re going to the theme park right now, c’mon, we get to go right now.”
 “Okay, hold on, we’ll get there. Did you thank Poppy for the gift?”
   “Yes, dad.” He smiled, nearly bouncing up and down with exuberance. “And she let me give her a checkup. She said I’d be a good nurse or doctor, I could help people and get to answer questions about stuff.”


   “I’m sure you’d be a great doctor or nurse I James replied. “Now, a holiday wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the theme park, let’s go.”
   “Yes! Let’s go, let’s go.”
   We were greeted with the smell of fried, sugary dough, oil used to keep the machines in pristine condition, and the strong stench of perspiration, created by hordes of people congregating, waiting to ride the carousal, the roller coaster, and the Ferris wheel- the universal smells that signified that’d we’d arrived at the park.


   “Want to ride the coaster with me?” Poppy asked Harrison, who glanced towards the towering track hesitantly, then agreed.

 

   "That was quite entertaining!" Poppy exclaimed. "James you simply must ride it with Lavender."
   "I don't know, Veronica doesn't like being held by people she doesn't kn-"
   "Aun Pah-hee, Aun Pah-hee!" Veronica shouted, interrupting me, as she reached for her only aunt. "Hold me please."
   "She seems like she'll be alright, go, have fun."
   "I supposed we might as well." I replied, taking James' hand, as he led me to the coaster line.


   "I've been thinking..." I paused, climbing into the metal coaster cart. "I, I think we should start donating... I miss Paisley, I just, I keep thinking about how she and Veronica were identical, so she would have looked exactly the same, like imagine Veronica, but with a different future... I don't know, I just I've made peace, but I still miss her."
   "So do I darling, so do I."
   "I want to do something to commemorate her or help families who are going through what we are or cannot afford the procedures."
   "That sounds like a bloody brilliant idea, why don't we discuss it after the coaster?"
   "Alrig-" I was interrupted by the cart taking off.


   "Look, there's Veronica, she's ride the spring horse! Aww, she's so adorable."
   "She is, just like her mum."
   "Aww. Gods, I love you James." 
   We spent the rest of the day riding the rides, buying and eating over priced fried foods, and frolicking around, enjoying the family time. I had been a bit stressed, running MENA, James was doing remarkably well at the police station, he'd received multiple promotions and raises within the past year, however he was also working on more high profile, dangerous, strenuous cases that kept him away from home. We both needed some time away from home, away from Pittsburgh, away from the States so we could leave our worries behind and enjoy spending time with our beautiful family:


2 comments:

  1. Eeee, I love the roller coasters, and the Sims' faces when they're riding them. :D They're so adorable, even the adults. LOL.
    It's really sweet of Lavender to start an organization for that disease Paisley had to suffer from. I'm sure families who have to deal with that will appreciate it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I bought the roller coaster from the store a few months ago and I hadn't played it any, I figured that this would be a wonderful way for to work it into the story. :D Haha, they are!

      Delete