Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Four Tips For the First Time Legacy Blogger

I was recently asked for tips concerning starting a legacy blog. Here was my reply:


I'm glad that you're wanting to start your own legacy blog; it's an entertaining and rewarding experience. :D Thanks for asking for my tips, here are a few that I attempt to (and occasionally fail to) abide by:

1. Proof read every post before you publish it. It can be off putting to readers if your posts do not utilize punctuation correctly or if there are common grammatical errors (like misusing your and you're or there, their, and they're).

2. Include relevant pictures in your posts and use creative descriptors. It can be daunting for readers if there are walls of text with no images (in a legacy's case, these images would be screenshots of your game) to help keep their eyes from straying, especially if you use the word "pretty" or "bad" or "said" a multitude of times. I advise skimming this list so you avoid overusing any words: http://justenglish.me/2014/04/18/synonyms-for-the-96-most-commonly-used-words-in-english/

3. Don't be writing for the numbers. When you first start blogging, you will not instantly be receiving hundreds of views or comments each day, it'll take time. Don't feel disappointed if you only have a few commenters, instead be grateful that they're reading what you've written and offering feedback. Reply to their comments ASAP, so they're aware that you're appreciative of them. If some of the readers offer constructive criticism, graciously take it- If you become upset and delete their comment, ignoring their advise (such as, "please use more commas"), you will not be able to refine your writing skills. furthermore, your should ensure that you publish rather frequently, until you develop a reader base. If you publish one post a month, most people are going to forget that you're blogging or presume you've ceased working on your blog; you should aim to publish at least once or twice a week. If you don't publish any chapters for an extended period of time, make sure that you update your readers and let them know that you haven't quit.

4. Read a copious amount. It doesn't matter if you're reading other legacies (however, if you do, be sure to comment and support those bloggers; if you support them, they're more likely to support you) or novels, reading will help inspire you and also help improve your grammar.

I hope these tips help you (and remember, these are what have helped me; they may not apply to everyone) and am excited to see how your legacy goes! :D


 I'm publishing this because when I first started blogging, I was fairly new to the legacy community; I didn't have many role models who I could ask for help and a lot of the tutorials made the task seem daunting.
I wanted to create a tips post (note: other titles for this post that I briefly considered include Legacy Writing 101, So You Wanna Start A Legacy, My Advice: Starting A Sims 3 Legacy, What I've Learned From Legacy Blogging, among other things that didn't make the list) that didn't break everything down in super easy steps, but instead provided simple tips, because most people know the legacy rules (and if you don't, they're here) and most people can easily set up a Blogger/Wordpress (and if you don't there's a tutorial here and here for each platform, respectively) and if they can't, there's plenty of tutorials already out there that explain things better than I ever could.
What's lacking from the blogosphere is regular advice that most people don't bother typing out because they presume everyone already knows that. Hopefully this post helped you out and if you have any more questions, concerns, pancakes, or riddles feel free to comment below, I'll reply ASAP.

xx,
Jill

0 comments:

Post a Comment